Wednesdays, 9:30am – 11:20am Spring Quarter (April – June 2024), In-Person
The Teaching Assistant (TA) will work to support the course manager, Yosefa Gilon, with various tasks outlined below. In addition, the TA will work with the course instructors, Dr. Geoffrey Tabin and Dr. Michele Barry. The TA will be hired at 25% time, working a total of 10 hours per week (including class meeting times). Applicants must be current students at Stanford University (position open to graduate and undergraduate students).
The Teaching Assistant’s responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Updating and maintaining course website on Canvas
- Grading assignments and drafting grading rubrics
- Producing and managing a mid-quarter evaluation
- Sourcing and preparing teaching materials including lecture slides
- Communicating with guest speakers to gather any pre-lecture readings, bios, and slides.
- Tracking and maintaining record of student attendance and participation
- Attending office hours (appointments made by students via email)
- Attending weekly course planning meetings
- Coordinating course logistics and communications as requested by the Course Manager
- Attending all class meeting times
Opportunities and Benefits:
This position is an excellent professional opportunity, as the TA will work directly with the Senior Associate Dean for Global Health and Professor of Ophthalmology and Co-Founder of the Himalayan Cataract Project. There is the opportunity for the TA to conduct an in-depth evaluation of the course content and curriculum, should the TA have this skillset or a desire to develop skills in this area. If interested, the TA may work with Dr. Barry and Dr. Tabin on curriculum development for the following year’s course.
Skills and Abilities:
- Detail-oriented and a strong self-starter, able to follow tasks through to completion with little supervision.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interest in global health and health equity
- Able to commit to 10 hours per week (including class meeting times)
- Previous experience as a TA is preferred
Yosefa Gilon, Associate Director for Global Health Education, Center for Innovation in Global Health
Critical Issues in Global Health, MED 194/294
Class Meeting Time: Spring Quarter, Wednesdays, 9:30AM -11:20AM PT
Hours: 10 hours per week (flexible other than class meeting times)
Compensation: For undergraduates, it will be commensurate with experience and will follow the Student Wage Scales set by the University. For graduate students, the pay will be consistent with the Minimum Assistantship Salary Table.
Application: To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Yosefa Gilon, email@example.com. Applicants must be current students at Stanford University. Deadline to apply is February 11th.