Stanford’s Center for Innovation in Global Health is committed to increasing wellbeing, world-wide. With nearly 200 faculty fellows from all seven schools within the university, we share knowledge, equip leaders and build interdisciplinary teams to address urgent global health challenges and achieve health equity. We focus our research and educational programs in three main areas – 21st century leadership, human and planetary health, and global health equity – and we partner with organizations around the world to ensure that Stanford’s commitment to excellence extends well beyond our campus.
We are pleased to offer an exciting opportunity for early-career candidates that are interested in joining a collaborative, mission-driven team. The Global Health Research Assistant will lead desk-based global health research, and events and conferences for the Center. The Research Assistant will conduct research on myriad topics in global health – ranging from lessons learned from the COVID pandemic, to the health impacts of climate change, to women’s leadership in global health, and more – and will be tasked with summarizing the technical information into visually-appealing presentations and supporting various global health speaking engagements.
The Research Assistant will be responsible for organizing high-profile events and convenings, to build the global health community at Stanford. Conferences will be both in-person and virtual, and will include a monthly Faculty seminar series, a quarterly conversation series with iconic leaders in global health, an annual Research Convening, and more.
Additionally, the Research Assistant will partner with Center Leadership to design and conduct a survey related to the gaps, barriers and opportunities for women in academic medicine who are pursuing leadership opportunities in global health. Then, based on the findings, the Research Assistant will design and lead a series of events and workshops, and manage the production of e-learning modules that seek to fill the gaps and support global health academics and/or clinicians to build new skills and achieve their leadership goals.
This is an ideal position for an individual with a solid understanding of the major issues in global health, with a Master’s degree in Global Health or Public Health interested in advancing towards higher level training (e.g. MD, PhD). Candidates with a strong track record in digesting and presenting complex information for an informed audience, with experience in events management, and solid program management experience are encouraged to apply. The role requires a high degree of organization, time management, flexibility, continuous exercise of independent initiative and judgement, strong work ethic, and exceptional communications and interpersonal skills. This position reports to the Executive Director at the Center for Innovation in Global Health, and is open to a hybrid work arrangement where work can be performed offsite 2-3 days per week.
- Plan and perform research tasks requiring initiative and judgment by applying basic knowledge and understanding of scientific theory when precedents do not provide specific guidance. General instruction provided by the supervisor as needed. May interpret study results in collaboration with supervisor or PI.
- Participate in the development and administration of survey instruments and rating scales requiring judgment in applying non-routine procedures. Analyze and summarize results for review with supervisor. Audit the accuracy and validity of data
- Conduct literature searches, and write literature summaries and manuscripts, requiring preliminary judgments after the supervisor outlines conceptual approach.
- Assist with development, communication and design of research findings to internal and external audiences, which may include web updates, social media, and/or white papers, for use in recruitment, educational, or awareness of programs, with guidance from supervisor.
- Oversee and/or perform duties associated with scheduling, organizing, and operating complex conferences, seminars, and events, including arranging with vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, administering logistics, and managing event within budget.
* – Other duties may also be assigned
Master’s degree in global health, public health, or related field.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Arts degree in an applicable social science related field, or combination of education and relevant experience in an applicable social science.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Broad knowledge of global health and the main issues within.
- Events or conference planning experience; skills in developing event agendas and objectives, and event logistics.
- Strong desk research and writing skills, with the ability to publish in peer-reviewed literature.
- Strong design and data visualization skills, with experience in PowerPoint.
- Ability to self-manage, set priorities, and easily adapt in a fast-paced, mission-driven team.
- General understanding of scientific theory and methods, typically gained through completion of an undergraduate degree in a related field.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.