Stanford University
Center for Innovation in
Global Health  

Greetings from Tugela Ferry!

Posted 8:47 PM, February 28, 2012, by Lena

Well, after a long journey I made it safely to my destination. I left from San Francisco airport on a Saturday afternoon and arrived in Tugela Ferry in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa on Tuesday afternoon.

I flew to Dubai where I had a 16 hour layover and then to Durban where I also had to spend the night in large part because the roads to Tugela Ferry are not well lit. The following day, Tokazani from Philanjalo, the NGO that hosts us, came to pick me up. The drive from Durban to Tugela Ferry was beautiful and surprisingly smooth. We stopped in Greytown to pick up groceries.

Having relatively little idea about the accomodations made grocery shopping an interesting challenge. I was full of odd questions for Tokazani: Did I need to buy bottled water or could I drink the water from the tap in Tugela Ferry? Would I have access to a fridge so I could buy perishables, or should I stick to products that could handle the 90 F heat? What produce would be available in the markets in Tugela Ferry? Which fruits and vegetables are safe to eat?

Upon our arrival in Tugela Ferry, most of my questions were answered shortly thereafter. I met Xolani who hooked me up with a cell phone and a key to my flat. He showed me to my new place, which is pretty plush. It is fully equipped with electricity which runs an air conditioner, ceiling fans, refrigerator, and microwave reliably. Likewise, there is running hot and cold water that leads to functioning toliets, sinks, shower and even a washing machine. Last, but certainly not least, in the amenities category is the wireless internet that is allowing me to write this post - it is sometimes a slow connection, but it gets the job done.

More updates to come soon...

Comments

Having read this I thought it was really enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this short article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it! Waiting for more updates.

Comment by: julio cardena at March 28, 2012 10:24 AM

Post a comment

Remember Me?

Type the characters you see in the picture above.

Footer Links: